Sunday, May 22, 2011

Friday, April 15th

On Friday the 15th I once again took the 9:26 am train into Boston. Today instead of taking a cab from North Station to the State House like I had the previous two days I decided to walk. It was a really nice day out and it turned out to be only about a 5 minute walk to the State House. I arrived at the office at about 10:30 and was greeted by Jessica (Rep Hill’s aide). Shortly thereafter Rep. Hill arrived after attending a meeting earlier in the day. Later on I accompanied Rep. Hill to an animal rights lobbyist function which took place in Nurses Hall. Here I met with several lobbyists all of whom had a special knack for discussing the various issues surrounding animal rights. The main reason Rep. Hill and I attended this event was because Rep. Hill has sponsored a couple of animal rights bills both of which had the support of this respective group. Going to the event was a good way to communicate with the lobbyists and tell them how far along the bills were in the long and tedious process of how a bill becomes a law. After the function we made sure to stop at the food table for some free breakfast/lunch. Upon returning to the office I worked on a couple constituent cases where I sent letters to constituents who had contacted the office regarding certain issues. At about 12:30 we broke for an hour long lunch. Because it was a Friday many of the aides and some of the Reps leave the office after lunch but when I returned I went to a hearing regarding healthcare reform. Although the hearing was rather boring and dull I learned a lot about healthcare in Massachusetts. Overall, it was another eventful day at the State House.