Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ipswich Tour

On Thursday, May 19 I ventured into the city for the second to last time. Once I got in the building I actually met up with Rep Hill who was giving a tour to an Ipswich government class. I joined up with the tour when they were in Memorial Hall. Inside Memorial Hall every town in the Commonwealth is represented by their town flag being flown. This hall is also used for a lot of speaking events and lobbyist events. It is the largest room for these types of events in the State House. Next we headed into the House chamber where Rep Hill explained some of the procedures during a formal session while also describing the makeup of the House members (128 Democrats, 32 Republicans). After about a half hour in the House chamber we headed to the Senate chamber, which actually used to be the original House chamber. Anyway, Rep Hill told some fun facts and stories about the Senate and then we headed over to Governor Patrick’s office. Because the Governor was in the office today we were unable to go inside his office but we did however get to go to his lobby area. After a few minutes there the governor walked right out of his office acknowledge the tour and hustled off to a meeting somewhere else in the building. It was cool to be able to see the governor in person and he is much smaller in person than he appears on TV. In closing, this was a fun day for me because I got to see parts of the building which I usually do not see on a regular basis.