Sunday, May 22, 2011

"He writes great letters"

Wednesday May 11th proved to be another fun filled day on Beacon Hill. Today, Rep Hill asked me to write a letter supporting a grant which would recognize a few of the towns in his district as part of a scenic byway. To get more information about the scenic byway Rep Hill and I looked through past files but could not find any information. We then headed down to Senator Bruce Tarr’s office to see if they had any more information. When we got there Senator Tarr’s aide was able to give us sufficient information and also informed Rep Hill that their attorney would be writing the grant letter for them. Mr. Hill replied with, “Cam is going to be writing out letter, he writes great letters.” This worried me a little bit. After meeting most of Senator Tarr’s staff we headed back to Rep Hill’s office (because Senator Tarr is the minority leader in the Senate he has a rather large staff and very big and nice office). Once back at the office I began writing and came up with a few different drafts. After editing each of the drafts a few times I picked the one I liked the best and got Rep Hill’s input. He also liked it, so I then faxed the letter to the appropriate agency and also mailed the letter just in case. Overall, it was interesting to learn how to write a letter for a grant and also to be able to meet Senator Tarr and his staff.