Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Last Day

Friday May 20th marked the last day of interning with Rep Hill’s office. This day was more or less a day where I didn’t do a whole lot, I did however begin the morning the same way I started my internship five weeks earlier, that’s right I went through the newspapers. After cutting, writing, and laminating for the final time I got to go with Rep Hill to the Governor’s office. Today, I was able to go inside his actual office. This was pretty cool for me because every Governor of Massachusetts has used this same office. The office itself is not as big as you would expect but it is furnished with very nice furniture. Also, above the fireplace hangs a portrait of Governor Andrew Ryan who was the governor during the Civil War. When you become Governor, you get to choose the portrait of a past Governor to hang in your office. One thing I noticed is that the Governor’s office featured many pictures with many famous people and politicians including pictures with President Bush and President Obama. This was fun experience especially since most people never get to go inside this office. After the tour, Rep Hill took me out to lunch to thank me for working with him. We decided to go to the 21st Amendment across the street which is a popular spot for both legislators and aides especially during budget week. Along the way I was astonished at how many lobbyists and legislators stopped Rep Hill to have a conversation. After lunch I thanked Rep Hill and Jessica for be great co-workers over the past five weeks. Overall, I had a great experience during my internship and learned a lot about how our government works.